GINA’S SWEET CRANBERRY THING
Well, that’s what Oli calls it. Actually it’s a cranberry sauce that is sweet and tart. What’s nice about this recipe is that some cranberries remain whole, and there’s just the right amount of crunch and sweetness contributed by Fuyu persimmons. If you don’t have a workmate like I do, who has a persimmon tree in her back yard, or when persimmons are out of season, you can substitute apples or pears. Spice it up or spice it down, maybe add some nuts – it’s all up to you and what you have on hand. This recipe couldn’t be easier.
Make this a day before you plan to serve so that the spices mingle and mellow.
Here’s what you need:
1 (12 ounce) bag of fresh or frozen whole cranberries
1/2 to 3/4 cup of good red wine (I prefer a rich, full-bodied Cabernet or zinfandel.)
1/2 to 2/3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
orange and lemon zest to taste
3 firm Fuyu persimmons peeled and cut into small dice
Here’s what you do:
1. Place cranberries, wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, orange and lemon zest in a 2-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Decrease heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Toss in persimmons and gently mix to combine.
(Alternately mix in persimmons just before serving.)
4. Adjust sweetness and spices to taste.
5. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
That’s it – Fini – Enjoy