This is a recipe that I haven’t cooked for several years. I got it from my younger sister Arndís who is named after our grandmother. Very sadly, she passed away on Easter day the 11th of April, 20 years ago.
I remember Addý served this stew for dinner once and I just loved it. It was a big favorite of hers as well. I asked her for the recipe, have kept it and cooked it several times. This dish is earthy with no one particular ingredient dominating. It’s just one big flavor that brings out the taste of the lamb big time.
Now it’s time to share it with others. This is one of the absolute simplest recipes to do and that’s the beauty of it. Not to mention that it’s so good too. What I really like about it is that you just mix everything together, leave it overnight and the next day bring it to a boil before serving. Perfect if you are having guests.
Posted in memory of my sister.
Addý’s Marinated Lamb Stew
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pound boneless leg of lamb, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup of finely chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon curry
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 cube beef bouillon
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup milk
2 egg yolks
1 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper
1. Heat 1/2 of the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Toss in lamb and cook until browned.
2. Remove lamb and oil from pan and place in a large bowl.
3. Add remaining oil to same pan and cook onions until translucent
4. Mix onions into lamb and let mixture come to room temperature.
5. Add sugar, curry, cornstarch, bouillon, Worcestershire, soy sauce, milk and egg yolks to lamb and onions. Gently mix until well combined.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Now for the really easy part:
7. Transfer lamb mixture to a large soup pot and pour in the cream.
8. Bring to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly.
9. As soon as it reaches a boil, decrease heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
There you have it!
Serve with rice and garlic bread.