Oli got this recipe from his dear friend Britt-Marie in Gothenburg, Sweden. This banana cake is one of his favorites and he’s probably made it at least 100 times! It’s great because it’s a snap to make, is a light cake and of course it’s delectable. This banana cake is the perfect alternative to the (sometimes) heavy and too sweet banana breads. Like the breads, it uses those over ripe bananas that just beg to be combined with a few other ingredients, popped into the oven and fill your kitchen with the heavenly aroma of banana cake.
So now, I’m going to pour myself a cup of coffee and enjoy a piece of warm banana cake.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large ripe bananas
5 tablespoons heavy cream
1 large egg
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder together until well combined.
2. Use a fork to mash the bananas. Mash well, do not leave chunks. Do not use a mixer.
3. In a medium size bowl, combine mashed bananas, cream, egg, melted butter and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in banana mixture. Mix in the flour so that it is gradually incorporated into banana mixture. It will be thick.
5. Grease a 9-inch (1 1/2 inches deep) cake pan and pour in cake mixture. Spread evenly.
6. Bake on middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Hi Regina, i made this wonderful cake 1 hour ago and surprised Dagrun with
coffee and banana cake. She thinks i am a promising baker.
Wow! Love that you jumped right in and baked. Dagrun is lucky to have a guy like you. What we say here in the states is that “you are a keeper”!
Gorgeous cake ! Thanks a bunch for a simple, easy-to-follow recipe. Loved the photos, as always. Hugs.
Simple is the word here. Light and easy. Tasty too!
What a great way to use up all those bananas. It looks light and wonderful, unlike some banana breads that are quite dense.
That’s what I love about this cake. It’s light and not too sweet. I love banana bread, but sometimes the density and sweetness are a bit much for me.
Thanks for this recipe. This banana cake looks very delicious!
Hi! Hope you enjoy. I took a look at your blog – Lithuanian!! My paternal grandparents came from there. Perhaps you can share some authentic recipes?
I’m always looking for new banana recipes and this looks perfect! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Looks good !
Pingback: Cake Decorating Classes Near Brunswick Ga - The Cake Boutique